We have possibly the best-equipped chair workshop in the UK, with all the processes needed to make a Windsor chair under one roof. Our strengths include :
- sharp and accurate wood-turning, by hand and by machine
- steam-bending of curved components in one of the last remaining working Rye Steam Kilns in the UK
- adzing (or seat-shaping); originally done by hand but now we have a specially-built machine which is the only one of its kind
- traditional Windsor construction and framing-up
- a dedicated 'specials' workshop catering for one-offs and new prototypes
- expert polishing and finishing.
Some of our machinery is right up-to-date and has been specially built for us for a particular purpose, and some of our machines date back to an earlier period in the history of chair manufacture, and are lovingly maintained and cared for.
At Sitting Firm Chairmakers we only use timber from sustainable sources, most of which is from Britain. A small amount of timber is also sourced from France and the United States of America, both of which have robust environmental policies and are designated as low risk by the FSC.
The bulk of timber used by us is harvested in the UK under Forestry Commission felling licence, much of which is sourced from forests that are managed by holders of FSC Forestry Management Certification. In many cases we can tell you the exact location of the plantation that our timber comes from.
We are fully committed to the support of British forestry. By sourcing timber in the UK, we are investing in our forests, in the knowledge that we are contributing to help sustain our woodlands to provide a well managed sustainable resource for the future.
Sitting Firm are proud to have been a founder member since 1995 of Woodland Heritage, the organisation dedicated to the responsible use of British woodland. www.woodlandheritage.org/